Thursday, March 12, 2015

Forget Not

I'm not a big fan of Christian radio. I don't know why. Maybe I'm just more of a folk/Southern rock girl than a jumping-up-and-down, pop-bop, Jesus-is-so-cute girl.

Call me crazy. 

Seriously, do it. (That was fun, right?)

So today we had a bump in the road that involved calling people and fixing things again. And again, it wasn't so much a big deal as a time-consuming one, and the Preacher (who has patience and perseverance) fixed it. He solved the problem while I was flapping my arms and fussing.

So he told me to go shopping, and I left to buy a new pot for my philodendron. I've had this plant maybe eight years, and it was given to me by my grandmother. A few years back, it was thriving as usual when I knocked it on the ground while I was vacuuming. It was decimated, roots torn off everywhere.

But philodendrons are hardy, so I saved a leaf just in case. I put it in a glass of water, and it grew a root. And when I planted that root, wouldn't you know the leaf sprouted another one, and now there are seven? When it grew another baby leaf last month, I decided it needed a new pot. Off to the store I went.
The new leaf! With a little fresh dirt.
All the way there, I was shouting like Yosemite Sam (but just as family-friendly). I felt powerless, and that is my absolute worst nightmare. When I feel powerless, I'm crazy and irrational.

(Oh, what's that? You say you're not here to talk about my issues? Oops!)

I was upset. But I bought a pot and some soil anyway, and on the way back to my car, I started humming that old Potter's Hands song. (Does your brain do that? You buy a pot and start singing a song about it?) 

When I got into the car, 10,000 Reasons was playing on the Christian station. The thing is, it's a song I actually do like. But today it brought something else to mind - and that's what made the difference. It's Psalm 103, and it starts like this:

Bless the Lord, O my soul,
and all that is within me,
bless his holy name!
Bless the Lord, O my soul,
and forget not all his benefits,
who forgives all your iniquity,
who heals all your diseases,
who redeems your life from the pit,
who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy,
who satisfies you with good
so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's.
The Lord works righteousness
and justice for all who are oppressed.

David's song reminded me what was so easy to forget: His benefits.

I'd been neglecting them.

So I started remembering them in the car, like:
"Forget not how He delivered you from a life built around yourself.
Forget not how He set you free from lies and curses.
Forget not how He gave you two children - TWO - when you wondered whether you could have one.
Forget not how He blessed you with a family that loves you.
Forget not how He gave you friends who forgive you for not answering the first call, or knowing what to say, or being at every party.
Forget not that He gave you a husband who's patient with your weaknesses, and who just says, "I"ll take care of it," when you're panicking.
Photo credit
Forget not all His benefits.

The benefits are infinite, but David just says, "Forget not all." That is, don't forget all of them. Remember them as they come to mind.

We remember this huge grace from the God who knows we're really dust.

We remember because the God who knows we're dirt also,
incredibly,
knows we're something more.
In our powerless moments, the breath of life reminds us of His benefits.

And in weakness, life sprouts from the ruins. 

Glad for a new pot, 
Becki*

No comments:

Post a Comment