Monday, March 21, 2011

Are You?

As a mom, some days I fret about last times. I wonder whether tonight will be the last time Little Man asks to sit on my lap; or the last time Royal Princess says, "Hey, Daddyyyy," in her sweet baby-girl voice.

I strain to remember: When was the last time Little Man needed help climbing into a chair? Or the last time he took a binkie to bed, or walked upstairs one. Slow. Step. At. A. Time? I don't recall, but I know this for certain-- they didn't happen today.

But then other days it hits me: While many days bring lasts, every day holds firsts. Fresh things ready to be enjoyed, new gifts ripe for the grasping.

Maybe your firsts today were momentous; or maybe, like mine, they were delicate, tiny. . . easily missed. For me, today was the first time I'd ever planted anything by myself. I'm thirty-something, and maybe a little behind, but today -- I had a first-time gift!

Gift #513: Finally finding courage to plant my pansies in their hanging baskets. 

And then there was Gift #514: Royal Princess' first real ponytail, long golden hair swept up messy.



The funny thing about firsts is that often they pass unnoticed. Do you remember the first time you brushed your teeth? Or tied your shoes? Or painted your fingernails? (Er...ladies?)

Firsts are easy to miss. Unless, that is. . .

We're looking.

Are you?
Becki~


 

Join us for Gratituesday at Heavenly Homemakers!

3 comments:

  1. Yep.
    I know what you mean. Thank you for your blog reminder. It makes me look back to some of your FIRST'S (and now I have a big smile on my face, yep and perhaps a tear too...you know me so well)
    Love ya...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom - I was trying to remember some of Little Man's firsts, but they mostly get lost in the blur. I *do* remember the first time he crawled -- The Preacher called me at work to let me know! Stinker...

    ReplyDelete